Often, authors don't realize that friends, family, business associates, etc., can play a major role in promoting their new book. And, friends, family, and supporters do not understand how their help can assist in the author's achieving bestseller status.
Ms. Penny Sansevieri, Marketing Expert and regular BMM contributor, shares 5 ways readers can help promote your book and increase awareness and sales.
1. Review the book. If you are an author, ask for a review. You might even include a note at the end of the book to your readers inviting them to review it and telling them why. I’m surprised that many readers don’t write reviews, it’s not because they’re lazy but because they wonder if their opinion matters. Guess what? It does!
2. Video reviews. If you’re ready to take this a step further, why not offer a video review? Send the video clip via Dropbox or YouSendit and keep the clip to under a minute. Hold up the book and smile!
3. Social Media. Sharing has become part of our lives. We share good and bad news, but when was the last time you shared what you are reading? Here’s where that great picture you just took of you reading a book can come in handy. Or even better, hop on over to Goodreads or Library Thing and share your love for this author to the millions listening there.
4. Authors on tour. It’s not often that authors tour anymore but if you have someone coming to your area, why not offer to help them get the word out? Maybe drop off fliers, call your local paper and let them know this author is coming to town and as a reader, you’d love for the paper to do a story on them. Getting a heads up about an author coming to town from a reader can be ten times more effective than even a well-polished pitch. Why? Because the media is serving the local community and if a resident is sharing an idea, they’re bound to listen.
5. Buy the book for a friend. This is pretty basic. If you love the book you just read, buy a copy for a friend. I do this almost every year for Christmas. If I love a book, I gift it. When you do, remind the person to review it.
As a reader, you have a unique opportunity to make a difference and help out an author who has poured their heart and soul into a book. As an author, if you need help from your readers, ask.
Penny has provided five (5) more suggestions on how readers can assist authors in promoting their book in Issue 20 of Book Marketing Mag. Subscribe via iTunes or Google Play for more Tips, Secrets and Insights from our expert book marketing and literary industry experts.